Thursday, June 25, 2009

What is the big deal about waterbirth?


For decades, waterbirth has been encouraged as a method of achieving a more gentle birth. As a midwife, I have often encouraged women in false labor or early labor to soak in a warm tub, relax, and see what their contractions do. For many women, relaxing in warm water is so relaxing, that they are able to decrease cortisol (stress hormone) levels and actually labor more effectively. The Nurse Midwives at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth are seeing more women in our community asking for and seeking hydrotherapy (laboring in water) and waterbirth, which the hospital is now offering.

Waterbirth isn't for everyone. Waterbirth candidates are women who have had an uncomplicated pregnancy and labor course with the fetus being positioned head down at the onset of labor. Women who are pregnant with multiples or who have had a complicated pregnancy or labor are not good candidates for waterbirth. For many women, we may know this prior to your labor. For others, there may be circumstances that arise during your labor that lead us to ask you birth "on land." Anyone interested in a waterbirth should be discussing this with their provider prior to labor and should be open to the advice their midwife provides at the time of labor and birth.

One of our patients had such a great experience with water birth that I wanted to share a bit of her story with you:

"Delivering my daughter in the water was, without a doubt, the single best experience of my life. I would strongly encourage any woman wanting a natural childbirth to consider a water birth. The warm water was very peaceful and soothing. In fact, I was so relaxed in the water that I never felt the need to ask for pain relief. The birthing pool was encircled by my husband, doula, midwife, obstetrician, and nurse. The support was amazing and all-encompassing. I feel very fortunate to have experienced a medication-free birth for myself and my daughter. My daughter came into the world in a very calm and natural way. She was lifted out of the water and placed onto my chest by my midwife when she was born. She was very alert and didn't appear to have experienced any trauma. She didn't make a peep and seemed very relaxed after working so hard. I believe the warm water attributed to her calm entrance into the world." - Rosanna Ratliff

If you are interested in learning more about waterbirth, please leave a comment on this blog with your email address.

- Kathleen Donaldson, certified nurse midwife on the medical staff at Texas Health Fort Worth

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for helping me carry out my mission - "to insure that waterbirth is an available option for all women."
    Congratuations for being one of only a few hospitals in Texas to offer this incredible miracle called waterbirth. For more information go to my website. www.waterbirth.org
    I teach waterbirth workshops all over the world and train midwives, doctors, nurses and parents about the possibilities and outcomes of gentle birth and waterbirth. My book, Gentle Birth Choices, is a great resource for parents and providers alike.
    Wishing you all gentle births and healthy babies!! Barbara Harper, RN, CLD, CCCE, Founder Waterbirth International

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very excited to hear! My family and I just moved here from Houston and are looking for a hosital that had a midwifery group. We have two boys right now who where both delievered at St. Luke's Episcopal in Houston by our midwife. We were worried that we souldn't be able to find antoher similar grop. How do I get in contact with one of the midwives to set up an appointment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since we decided to start trying for #2 I have been trying to find a new birthing process, the regular way is not what I want to do again (had a bad experience) I have some questions about this, could you contact me please

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to know more about the waterbirth process, especially at this location! My husband and I are currently not pregnant but are wanting to have knowledge before we get to that point!

    ReplyDelete