Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ah Ha Moments!


My name is Melissa Wolken, and I’m currently a resident at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth Hospital (THFW). If you read this blog consistently, or have taken the time to review previous blogs, you may have read a great piece by Scott Spencer. Both Scott and I have accepted the challenge of a residency/fellowship in pursuit of a well-rounded education. The next year will hold an unfathomable amount of meetings, multiple rotations and several shadowing events.

With my best efforts, I’ll share some of those experiences with you:

Notably, I’ve been here at THFW for approximately three weeks. The THFW family has welcomed me with open arms. This of course- is to be expected. I’m neither shocked nor surprised; primarily because it was my choice to make the eight hour journey from Kansas to Texas with THFW in mind. As a matter of fact, I sought after this position. I have been fortunate enough to travel throughout the US working both with and in hospitals. During those “adventures” I was able to spend some time with the Texas Health Resource family, viewing the organization from the outside in. I witnessed an emerging system that focused on patient centered care, shared resources, growth and development in hopes of a healthier community. – Hence, my enthusiasm about joining the organization with the sole intent of education.

In an attempt to take in as much as possible, I have started to write down my “ah-ha” moments at the end of each day. There is no structure, nor subset of things I’m looking for – just something that happens during my day that merits an ‘ah-ha”.

Here are some of my favorites:

“I’ll take you there!’ Let me show you!” – Five different nurses offered to physically and personally lead me to my destination without any hint of irritation or aggravation.

“What does that look like?” – asked by an executive that tries to focus on the concept and situation from every angle.

“What can I do for you?” – asked by an executive that focuses on service and experience.

“This is why I love my job!” – stated by a director that prides herself on hard working staff and satisfied patients.

“Welcome to Texas!” – whispered by an employee when someone received a book about cowboys as a congratulatory gift.

“I’m happy to help, it’s important to foster growth and development for the future” – stated by a director that extended an 30 minute meeting to an hour ensuring I was comfortable with his department and how it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment