Monday, June 8, 2009

Palliative Care = Comfort Care



I was recently asked to contribute to this BlogSpot and I jumped at the chance. Many of my friends have BlogSpots and use them to share about their families and children. It is fun to catch up on what everyone is doing and an excellent way to keep in touch with my friends that do not live in Fort Worth. I am excited about this BlogSpot and sharing what is happening in nursing and the Palliative Care at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth.

Let me introduce myself…I am Ashley Hodo and I am the nurse manager for Palliative Care. I have worked at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth since 2001 when I started as a nurse extern (student nurse). Upon graduation from Texas Christian University, I worked in the Medical/Surgical Intensive Care Unit as a RN and have learned a great deal that I will carry with me throughout my career and life. I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in nursing from the University of Texas in Arlington.

I imagine that some of you may be asking “What is Palliative Care?” Here is a working definition of Palliative Care. Palliative Care is a form of care or treatment that works to reduce the severity of disease symptoms. The goal is to prevent and relieve suffering and to improve quality of life for people facing serious, complex illness. I also believe the nurses in palliative care work hand in hand with the family members of their patients’ providing emotional, spiritual and comfort support.

This Friday, June 12th we are having an opening celebration for our new Palliative Care Unit. This is the first unit of this type in the Tarrant and surrounding counties, serving this special patient population. This unit has been a work in progress since 2005, and I am honored to be part of something so exciting and innovative. For the past month, we have been interviewing nurses, patient care technicians and unit secretaries. I have been encouraged by the wonderful people interested in working in Palliative Care. They are caring, compassionate individuals. I look forward to answering your questions and addressing comments about Palliative Care, as well as sharing with you some amazing stories related to this unit opening.
Photo Credit: Glen E. Ellman

No comments:

Post a Comment