Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Navigating the Breast Cancer World



Hello. My name is Dana McGuirk, RN, Breast Health Navigator.

I am a Texan at heart, but born in Denver. Our family moved to Houston back in the 70’s, and I graduated from TCU nursing school and have been here ever since.

I have been employed at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth for 25 years, most of that time as a surgical recovery nurse. Three years ago I was diagnosed with breast cancer after a routine mammogram, and found that I was scared to death. What do I do? Where do I turn? What options do I have and am I going to live?

Thus, that is how I landed my role as a “Breast Health Navigator.” A navigator by definition is a health care professional who assesses the physical, psychological and social needs of the patient, coaching the patient to work as an informed partner with her health care team. In essence, providing education, support and anticipatory guidance throughout the continuum of illness and challenges of survivorship.

I have found this to be my “passion”. Knowing how afraid I was, (even as a nurse), and realizing how afraid MY patients must be, I want to offer guidance and hope to those that are diagnosed and help make their journey a little easier. On average, I am seeing 350- 400 patients per year.

In addition to my navigating role, I found it important to have access to items and resources that would be helpful during treatment and recovery and now have opened the Cancer Boutique and Resource Center. We offer free wigs, scarves and hats through donation of the American Cancer Society. I also have recovery camisoles, (post mastectomy), skin care products for patients going through chemo and or radiation, night wear designed to wick away moisture for women going through menopause and inspirational jewelry. A certified bra fitter can come in by appointment to fit ladies with their mastectomy bras and prosthesis and we have a lot of reading material about cancer issues. Additionally, we have our wonderful Cancer Library right across the hall with numerous resources to aid in your questions and concerns. The boutique is open daily from 10am-2pm., but can be opened any time during the day between 8-5 if that is more convenient, by paging me at 817-654-7827. The boutique # is 817-820-4861.

If there comes a time when you or someone you know needs assistance, please do not hesitate to call me at 817-820-4805.

Photo Credit: Glen E. Ellman

No comments:

Post a Comment