Friday, June 26, 2009

A Baby Boomer's Perspective


Being a baby boomer I’m not as big on blogs as some members of the younger generation(s). However, in my position at the Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth I have found that often the biggest impediment to getting something done, whether it is superlative patient care or just a management issue is poor communication.
Therefore I welcome being a participant in “The ‘Care’ in Health Care”. This blog has now been in existence for three weeks and you have been exposed to the thoughts and ideas the president of the hospital, other executives, our staff and volunteers.

As the executive responsible for our electronic health record at THFW, I had planned on making it the subject of my first blog entry. However, Paul Palermo’s entry on June 23 said it better than I ever could. It is making a positive difference in patient care, just as it is intended to. All of the hospital and medical staff are working together to improve the product and enhance its value. This is what we are all about: working together to improve care.

So instead of talking about that I just want to let people know a little about my journey to my current position. I was born in New York City, but came to Texas as fast as I could. I practiced in Fort Worth as a Gastroenterologist for almost 30 years. While doing that I quickly discovered that Harris Methodist Fort Worth was, and still is, the best hospital in Fort Worth. In addition to taking care of my patients here I wanted to contribute to its success. I participated in committees that are designed to enhance patient care, took part in those that also helped with organizational issues, and finally, when I felt that I was ready for a change from the clinical practice of medicine, leaped at the opportunity to join the executive team. Now I am able to help not only the individual patient, but all of those who use our hospital.


- Harold Berenzweig, MD
Vice President, Medical and Information Management

No comments:

Post a Comment