Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Nurses Perspective


My name is Jennifer Nelson and I am a staff nurse at Texas Health Fort Worth in the new Palliative Care Unit and Chair of our Nursing Advisory Council. I am far from new to the Harris culture though! I have call our Emergency Department home for the last 3 ½ years. What an amazing journey it has been! Many of you have probably read and seen that we went through the re-certification process for Magnet. I was fortunate enough to get to play a small role in this process and I can’t say enough now about how glad I am that I was a part of that process!
The Magnet journey is just that- a journey. A very LONG journey. A little over a year ago when I was still an ER nurse I got asked to be a Magnet Champion. I thought… “Great another thing to do and what in the world is a Magnet Champion?” I understood fully what the Magnet culture of a hospital was about but was a little unclear as to what role I might play in this re-certification journey. I have worked all over the country and can say with 110% certainty that I have NEVER come across a hospital like THFW!! So I decided what the heck! I jumped on board to be a “Magnet Champion.”
As the months and days ticked away I grew in my role as a leader at Texas Health Fort Worth. I was elected vice chair of NAC and in turn that lead to me being chair. It exposed me to so much more of the Harris Hospital I had become a part of. The team work amongst the staff of various floors and departments was truly amazing! The support of the CNO Karen Robeano was phenomenal! There wasn’t a meeting that went by that I did not learn something new about the hospital and the amazing staff that make it tick. While completing my own journey through various councils and meeting there was always one constant variable at the center of each gathering…. the patient. I have never worked for a place that cared more about their patients and made sure that everything had positive effects and outcomes for the patient. It truly spoke to the model of care that had been developed.
So all that being said, in the end I was honored to help represent Texas Health Fort Worth to the 4 women, our Magnet Surveyors, from across the country who came to see and learn about our hospital. We are not perfect, but I work with some of the most amazing staff and administrators who make sure every day we get one step closer to being there!

No comments:

Post a Comment