Sunday, July 5, 2009

Healing and Aromatherapy

Did you know that there is a Clinical Aromatherapy program at our hospital? Did you know that your patients could get a consult from a Certified Clinical Aromatherapy Practitioner? You didn't. Well let me tell you a bit about us and how far we have grown. Hello, I am Erin Munoz RN,BSN,CPAN,LMT,CCAP-I and I have been a nurse here at Texas Health Harris Methodist Fort Worth for 12 years. I initially started my career on Harris 8th floor, moved to PACU, and now I am currently a staff nurse on Med/Surg ICU. I received my massage therapy license about 4 years ago, and with that, I saw how many people were interested in complementary therapies. Years later, I received an email from our education department about a clinical aromatherapy course at the hospital. I jumped at the chance to see what it was about, and here I am today to tell you about it. Four passionate nurses, Mary Jo Brock MS,RN,CCAP-I, Carol Scheidel RN,BSN,CCAP-I, Susan Shields MBA,RN,NE-BC,CCAP-I, and Barbara Bentfield RN,BSN,CCAP-I, set out to find a complementary therapy to assist patients and families in a hospital setting. They brought back the RJBuckle Clinical Aromatherapy course, which includes, 250 class hours, a 3-hour written exam, 33 case studies, and a research project. About 50 Health Care Professionals, consisting of nurses, physicians, pharmacists, massage, and physical therapists, have completed the course to date. The course started back in 2004 and is now taught by six instructors, including KimTrull MSN,RN,CCRN,CCAP-I and myself. So, what is clinical aromatherapy? It is the use of essential oils for specific outcomes that are measurable and research-based. We assist a range of patients with nausea, anxiety, end of life, insomnia, constipation, and relaxation. Many patients who benefit from aromatherapy have high risk pregnancies, substance abuse withdrawal, surgical, chemotherapy, and long term care. We have 33 researched essential oils that can be administered topically in a carrier oil or by inhalation. Another way of delivering essential oils is by using the M® technique, a light touch technique that can easily be taught to family members. I will discuss more in later blogs on the use of aromatherapy and patient responses. A nurse does not need a physician's order to use aromatherapy. This service is of no charge and available to all patients. You can call the Healing Arts Center at 817-820-4839 for a referral or you may already have a certified practitioner on your unit. We have 25-30 CCAPs at THFW and some of our other THR facilities have graduates from our course. Again, this is a complementary therapy, and is in no way to replace medical treatment or care.

- Erin Munoz
Photo Credit: Glen E. Ellman

No comments:

Post a Comment