Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bariatric Diaries 1: A Perspective from Casey Armstrong


My name is Casey Armstrong. I am a fat guy.
I have been an obese person since the day I was born. It all began August 18, 1979 when my parents gave birth to a strapping 10 lb baby boy whom the doctor proclaimed needed to be playing for the Cowboys. Growing up I was always active in sports and other activities and I always made a mental note of the fact that I was always the biggest kid in the group. That might have bothered some people, but I was lucky to have been taught that I shouldn’t let people’s words bother me. By junior high I was already hovering around the 200lb range and by high school I was nearing 275. After high school I went on to college at SMU in Dallas and after tearing my ACL and becoming less active, I was quickly over 300 lbs. I am now 30 years old and at the beginning of the year I was close to 350 lbs. All these years I would make excuses as to why I didn’t need to diet, I was in denial.

This year has brought lots of twists and turns to my already jammed packed life. Back in January I got some bad news, my mom was very sick from complications of congestive heart failure. Not long after that, I found out that an old friend had passed away at just 37 years of age. My mind raced with the idea of death, illness, and my family. Life is short, and the fact that I have a family history of medical issues a mile long and the fact that I was overweight didn’t help my cause much. Later that night, I stood in the kitchen with my wife and we talked about death, our family, and the fact that I needed to do something to change my life because I didn’t want to die. We decided that I should call to get more information on weight loss surgery. At that moment, I knew my life was about to change.
I contacted Dr. Lorimer at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth and scheduled an appointment. My wife went with me to find out what my options were. I was nervous to the point that I was sweating and almost couldn’t think straight. After talking to Dr. Lorimer, I knew what I had started down a path of no return and now I had to finish it. I began all of the prerequisites set out for me by my insurance company so that they would help pay for the procedure. A pulmonologist visit, then a psychiatry visit (I now have proof I am not crazy), a monthly trip to see the “Lovely Ladies of Bariatrics” at the hospital, and finally attending a monthly support group (yes men go to support groups too) for weight loss surgery patients. After 5 months of appointments and mentally and physically preparing myself I am scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery on May 18, 2010.

I get asked a lot of questions lately, so I thought I would get those answered one more time for anybody out there reading this. Here we go…

Why am I doing this?
That’s easy. Although I don’t have any major health problems, my family does. I am married and have a 6 year old son, and I want to watch my marriage grow and be there for my son as he moves on in his life. Most importantly, I am doing this for ME!! I am smart enough to know that if I don’t change the way I live, I will most likely miss out on things in life. I am not one to miss the party, and I plan on being here for many more years.

What do I look forward to the most with losing the excess weight?
I can finally walk into any store and buy clothes off the shelf rather than paying more money to buy big and tall clothes. My wife always reminds me how good it will feel to lose the weight when I get discouraged or try to venture off my plan.
What is the worst part of getting to surgery day?
Two words, CHICKEN BROTH!! You will have to go to a liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery and Chicken broth cannot be altered enough ways to make it appetizing. Also note that once you put no sugar into your body for a few days and then you accidentally eat something sweet, WOW you will get a rush. I experienced this at the hands of a cherry Popsicle. I bounced off the walls for hours. It sounds horrible to go to a liquid diet, but it becomes easier the further you go. On top of that I have lost over 20 lbs after my first 8 days on the diet.

What is my goal?
My goal is to lose approximately 120 lbs. That would put me close to 200lbs for the first time since junior high. Also I have made it a mission to compete in some type of endurance race with a few of my friends within a year of my surgery.

How long will I be away from work?
I have been told 2 weeks. I am stubborn and want to go back sooner, but I am playing it safe and doing as I am told. I hope to be fully recovered within a month.

What does everyone think about this?
I have some of the most supportive people on the planet in my corner. My family and friends are rooting for me the whole way and have already told me that I will be under watchful eye. Your support group is probably one of the most important elements in this process. This is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle change.
I go in tomorrow morning for my preop testing; I am nervous and excited all at the same time.

I am having surgery in 6 days. Now more than ever, my life is changing. The journey has just begun! Keep you posted!

- Casey Armstrong

1 comment:

  1. You have always been there for me. No one could ever ask for a better friend. I was honored to be the best man in your wedding & will be honored to stand next to you & Carrie as you go through this. Looking forward to the Jailbreak!

    ReplyDelete