Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Distracted Driving Effects Everyone

I am always multitasking. I have been that way for a long time. Being the mother of four sort of predisposes one to this condition. I can answer the phone, go over homework, throw in a load of clothes and make a mean chicken parmesan all at the same time. I say that with pride. I like to know that I make the most of every minute. I love to cross things off my list, it gives me a since of accomplishment. So naturally when I hop in my car (to do list in hand) buckle my seatbelt, and put the car in gear, my cell phone is within reach. After all, I wouldn’t want to miss a call digging thru my purse while it rings incessantly. It could be an important message, or a photo of my grandbaby, or my son calling from Afghanistan, or my best friend to schedule lunch. It might even be a tweet from my techno-proficient seventy-something year-old mother. There are a lot of people who rely on me to answer my phone. Which is why I should not answer it while I am driving. That is the point.

My friends, my children, my parents, my co-workers and even the person who is driving in front of me rely on me to pay attention to the road. Sending a text or even talking on the phone raises the possibility of crashing by 400 percent. 400 percent is HUGE. If only my stock portfolio had such a percentage. Of course we always assume it won’t happen to us. Distracted driving injured 448,000 folks in one year alone. One in five drivers has admitted to surfing the web while driving. Distracted driving is quickly becoming an epidemic. The vaccine is prevention! The safest way to get from here to there is to just put down the phone and drive. I’m making that commitment, how about joining me? After all, there are people counting on you too.





























MaryAnn Contreras, RN

Injury Prevention/Trauma Nurse Coordinator








































MaryAnn Contreras












Injury Prevention Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment