Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tips for Halloween Safety










Just a little over two weeks to go before the big night of “trick or treat” commences. Personally, I have bought two bags prototype candy. Of course the treats must be tasted and tested before I hand it out to my neighborhood goblins. I am a responsible neighbor after all. I have also checked and made sure my front porch and driveway are clearly lit and there are no tripping hazards (such as garden hoses) for the galloping ghosts. I have a plan for my alarmingly energetic Jack Russell that includes being secured in the house to avoid any potential escapes she might attempt with the overactive ringing of the doorbell.

Now that the basic arrangements are made, I have started talking with my teenage daughter. It is an ongoing dialogue about being aware of her surroundings while driving. Certainly this conversation is frequented often, but as Halloween nears it is even more important. Remember how excited these little ghouls get questing for candy—they run right out into the streets and don’t even think to look both ways. Many costumes are dark and scary, and difficult to see from a driver’s point of view. Extra caution is the answer for everyone, especially the teen drivers.

Remind the witches and warlocks to be wary of parked cars. Crossing the street with an adult or in a group is always a safer approach. And speaking of groups, trick or treating in packs is a sure way to have a more enjoyable evening. Remind the kids to get their goodies from the front door and never go inside the house. Lastly, before they gobble those goodies, they should be inspected by an adult, making sure the candy is securely wrapped and not tampered with. It’s often tough being a parent, but during this time of year, how sweet it is.













Mary Ann Contreras, RN
Injury Prevention Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment