Monday, September 13, 2010

Giving the Gift of Life


My name is Claudia and three years ago I was diagnosed with Good Pastures Syndrome, an autoimmune disease that attacks the kidney and lungs. As I was told by one of the doctors, it was simply my “bad luck” that I contracted this disease because the odds of getting it are very rare. The disease took both of my kidneys, but thanks to the wonderful team of doctors at Texas Health Fort Worth, its progression was stopped before any further damage could be done.
As a single mom it impacted not just me, but my son as well because I am the only family he has. Through everything he was so scared that he would lose me. But I knew the Lord would get us through this. I do often think and say a special prayer for my donor and their family. I sent them a thank you letter for being so thoughtful. While my family and I rejoiced over receiving the gift of life, they were grieving the loss of a loved one. I only wish they knew how much I value them and am so grateful for everything because if it wasn't for them, my son wouldn't have his Mommy.
On June 30, I will celebrate the one-year anniversary of my transplant. This whole experience has changed my life completely. It gave me back my life; my independence and most important, more time to cherish with those I love the most, my family and friends.
I have always lived a good, healthy Christian life, but now I go to the extreme! I exercise regularly and pay more attention to my diet. And most importantly, I enjoy every day. If you are a donor or the family of a donor THANK YOU and if you are not, please consider becoming one. This decision can many lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment