Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bariatric Diary # 7: Frustration sinks in

You remember that time when your parents told you not to stick your finger in the hole because it might get cut off? As a child we always did it anyways, just to find out. Well now I am faced with same dilemma after having weight loss surgery. I really want to be on the full foods diet like I should be at this point post surgery. Well everyone keeps telling me to take it easy and take it slow. Everyone has some tidbit of advice on what I should or shouldn’t eat. Do I listen? Kinda sorta, but not really.

This month has been extremely busy. By the end of the month, I will have gotten so frustrated that I actually called Tiffany in bariatric services, traveled for almost two weeks throughout Texas and Oklahoma for work, been sick, been to the hospital, be banished to a week of liquids, do an interview for the newspaper, and turned another year older. Sounds like fun but this has been one of the most frustrating months I have had since I had my surgery in May.

So let’s break this all down.
Frustration- Yes, I admit it. I sometimes want to scream I get so frustrated. See 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 below. Then I realize I got myself into this situation and I have to grab the ole boot straps and keep trucking. One of the nice perks of having surgery at Texas Health Fort Worth is that you get to call and voice questions and concerns with Tiffany Norris and Jaime Bass in bariatric services. I sometimes wonder why they have not reached sainthood for dealing with everyone’s whining… Oops I meant answering everybody’s questions and addressing concerns. I am kidding of course; every question is a good question!!!
Work- Aren’t we glad we are all grown up and get to be responsible? HAHA. It was actually kind of nice to get out and meet some of my new clients and make new ones.
Sick- Had a few rough weeks with food not agreeing with me. I talked with Dr. Lorimer and we game planned, which lead to both the liquid diet for a week and the trip to the hospital. The last week has proven that the plan is working fairly well. I guess that is why they call him a doctor.
Liquid Diets- At least it wasn’t clear liquids. Seven days of full liquids to give my stomach some time to try and recalibrate its thingy-ma-bob so it would quit rejecting anything solid that entered it. Not too horrible actually.
Hospital- Well shortly after the liquids wore off; I found a couple things that still made me sick, so I went to have an Upper GI performed at Texas Health Fort Worth. Barium breakfast is something that I highly recommend passing off if ever given the opportunity. The good news is that it came back normal and now I just need to stick to what my body will allow until I can advance things.
Interview- While on my way back from my first work trip, I did an interview with the Fort Worth Star -Telegram about minimally invasive bariatric surgery and my experience. I should probably apologize for all the dropped calls that almost resulted in my phone becoming a casualty on the highways of Paducah, TX. Maybe if one person reads about my experience and is able to make a life changing decision, I will earn some brownie points with the big guy upstairs
Birthday- I turned 31 this week. I am starting to get old. I still remember kindergarten when I was not willing to let 0+0=0.

So in summary, when the staff at the hospital tells you take it easy, don’t charge forward full steam. I have learned my lesson several times now. This is a huge adjustment for every patient who goes through the procedure and just because something works for one person doesn’t mean it will work for everyone. You have to listen to your body when it says stop and not your eyes and taste buds. Nobody said this was supposed to be all fun and games!!

Overall things are going well. I have slimmed down to a much more aerodynamic 238 lbs. I feel relatively strong and my energy to do different things in the yard and around the house seems to be better than ever. Since I started this journey in January I have now lost 116 lbs. Keep in mind about 20 lbs of that was before I started the liquid preoperative diet in May. Nonetheless, I am happy as a clam in the sand.
The journey continues……


Casey Armstrong- bariatric patient

No comments:

Post a Comment