Thursday, July 8, 2010

From a physician's perspective...


When Ashley asked me to write a blog, my first thought was, “Holy Cow! What in the world do I talk about?” I could talk about my fellowship or the Palliative Care Unit or something random. What I eventually decided to do was highlight a group of individuals that have impressed me to no end. I recently graduated from residency last June from a rival hospital, and through my rotations have worked at hospitals around the country, so I have seen a wide variety of teamwork.
The first thing I noticed after spending a few days here at THFW is the nursing staff at our Palliative Care Unit. Wow! What an amazing and dedicated group of people. As a fellow in Palliative Care, I am learning to relate with patients and their families in ways that never really were an option during residency. The nurses and nurse practitioners on the Palliative Care Unit are among the best I have ever seen. Every day I learn more about being compassionate and caring, and they are my number one example. We frequently have patients transferred out of the PCU for a variety of reasons, and many times patients ask to be transferred back because they miss that compassionate care.
I have never seen such a giving and loving group of nurses, and they deserve all the accolades that can be given them, but it’s not just the emotional aspect of these men and women that impress me, it’s also the technical aspect. The Palliative Care unit is also an acute med-surg. unit, and these nurses excel in that respect also. They provide quality, accurate care that rivals any other med-surg. unit in any hospital I’ve worked with. If you see any of these amazing nurses about the hospital, please pat them on the back and tell them, “Good job!” The work they do is not only physically draining, but emotionally draining, and they do it with style and grace.

- Dr. Stephanie Sun
Internal Medicine Physician

No comments:

Post a Comment