Monday, July 26, 2010

Bariatric Diaries 6: The dog days of summer!

The last few weeks have been HOT!! July has brought things into perspective for me on the whole recovery process from my surgery that I had in May. Over the July 4th weekend, things were business as usual with a few minor changes being made for my recovery. We went to lovely Junction, TX for some good times on the Llano River and relaxing at the ranch for the weekend. Unfortunately, there were no hot dogs and adult beverages for me this year but I was ok with that. I made due with the things I could eat and had just as good of a time. On Monday, we were headed back home and all the sudden something just wasn’t right. I was starting to feel sick and had not interest in even drinking water. By the time I got home, things were really not going to well. I tried food, and that didn’t work out. I tried water and Gatorade, and that did not work out either. The thing that scared the heck out of me was that when I got sick, I was vomiting black coffee grind type material. Just for the record, I have not eaten anything black since my surgery so you can imagine what was running through my head. I called Dr. Lorimer in a state of panic and he instructed me to not eat or drink anything the rest of the day and that I was throwing up dried blood. The real question is where the heck it came from. The next morning, I was not feeling well so I called back and moved my appointment up a day. We came to the conclusion that this sometimes happens and I needed to take it easy on food for a few days and see what happens. He also gave me a medication for stomach ulcers in hopes of being able to coat my stomach before eating. Let me be the first to admit that I hate taking pills, but it is a part of the recovery. This pill he gave me is approximately the size of a small baby so I was even less thrilled. In all seriousness, it is big but I was able to break it in half and get it down the ole windpipe. Blood work and a little but of chaos later, I am all good. Dr. Lorimer did tell me during the appointment that he felt like I was losing weight a little too fast. I am glad to report that it has now slowed down.

I also thought I would share with you the top things that I am convinced I will never be able to eat/drink again:

1. Potatoes of any kind. Complete mental block on them right now.
2. Cream of Wheat. This was my dining choice immediately after surgery. Just can’t do it.
3. Chicken Nuggets. This is my son’s favorite meal, he is sad that I don’t get to share it with him anymore.
4. Beans. I have tried several times in many different consistencies and they just don’t agree with me anymore
5. Grand Prairie Water. I am officially a water snob now. I keep a case of cold bottled water handy at all times.

I feel so much better after a little over 2 months since surgery. I get constant reminders from my wife and 6 year old about things I should and shouldn’t be eating. That gets a little old after some time, but I know they are doing it for my own good. My son thinks it is funny to remind me before we go anywhere to eat that I can’t have one thing or another and tries to make his food choices based on what I can have. Speaking of food, I think I am becoming a pregnant woman. I have these cravings that are so odd sometimes, but I am a little hesitant to try them out. For example, I really want lemonade one minute and then I think I just have to have a pickle. I have tried the lemonade and it has become a drink of choice this summer, I bought pickles at the store yesterday but I will try those slowly in the near future.

Other than some really bad decisions on my part a couple times, surgery has been a huge success so far. I have learned from my mistakes and try my best to not repeat them. I am stubborn and I admit that, but most of the mistakes I made have taught me that I don’t necessarily get my way when it comes to food anymore. Drink your water and lots of it. The dehydration factor is in full effect on these 100 plus degree days. As of today, I have lost a grand total of 101 pounds.

The journey continues…..

- Casey Armstrong, bariatric patient

No comments:

Post a Comment