Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Third Rider


Part of my job with THR is to get a hands-on experience of all of the services we offer to our community. A few months ago I was in a fortunate position to get to spend time with some of our good friends with CareFlite. These individuals provide medical transport services to all of North Texas. CareFlite is a Texas, nonprofit 501(c) 3 corporation governed by a Board of Directors with representatives from Texas Health Resources, Methodist Health System, Baylor Health Care System, Parkland Health and Hospital System, and the JPS Health Network. Their transportation services include a helicopter EMS service, a fixed wing air ambulance, 911, specialty care, and ground services.

I met with Jim Swartz, the president and CEO, who was kind enough to give me an overview of CareFlite. He also provided a tour of their office and hangar in Grand Prairie, TX. After the informational overview, they set me up as a “third rider” with one of their helicopter EMS teams stationed here at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth. The Third Rider program is designed to give health care professionals an opportunity to ride with the helicopter crew and learn more about air medicine and operations.

I arrived at their office at the top of the Richardson Tower for an initial group meeting. Their team included the pilot, the RN, and the paramedic who gave me a tour of their work area and the helicopter. They warned me not to get my hopes up for flying a lot; third riders have a reputation of getting in on slow days. Soon after that conversation, things started to get a little busy. Our first call came in around 8:00 a.m. for a hospital-to-hospital transfer from United Regional Health Care Center in Wichita Falls (oddly enough my home town). It just so happens that my dad works at that hospital! I sent him a text to let him know I was “swinging by” and was able say hi to him before taking off back to Fort Worth. That was a great trip and I would have been completely satisfied if that was the only call for the day. However, we ended up flying to Abilene, Alliance, and Cleburne ending my day with them around 7:00 p.m. that evening. I had a great time with the crew. They were helpful in answering my questions and letting me know how they did their jobs. I was really lucky to get to experience such a busy day with them too. The CareFlite team is dedicated to providing excellent care to their patients and is an invaluable asset to our community.

To learn more about CareFlite, the “Third rider” program, or their Caring-Heart program, please see their website at http://www.careflite.org/.


- Scott Spencer
Administrative Resident

No comments:

Post a Comment