Tuesday, December 7, 2010


My name is David Swearingen and this is my story. I am the youngest of three boys in my family and my dad is retired from the United States Air Force. My life was pretty much like many other high school students all across America until the spring of 1979. That spring, I decided to try out for the Stephenville High School baseball team. A pre-requisite to trying out was a routine physical. This routine physical determined there was too much protein in my urine – not routine at all.
I was 16 years old at this time. I was sent to Carswell Air Force Base in Ft. Worth, Texas for testing and it was later determined that a kidney biopsy would be necessary. The biopsy showed that I had a kidney disease known as glomerulonephritis. Eventually I would need a kidney transplant.
All of my family members were tested and it was concluded that my brother, Weldon, would be the best match for a kidney transplant when the time came. Having this reassurance, I was able to live a normal life until January 1981.
I was in my second semester at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, Texas. Just a few weeks into the semester, my kidney function took a drastic turn for the worse. I was in kidney failure and it was necessary for me to go on dialysis for six weeks.
In March of that year, Weldon and I were both admitted into Wilford Hall Medical Center in Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. I was 18 years old and my brother was 21 years old. I was apprehensive about what the future would hold; my brother, on the other hand, didn’t display any fear. At the young age of only 21, he voluntarily would donate a kidney – a heroic and loving gesture.
I will remember the day of my transplant forever. It was like an additional birthday to me – it was the day my brother gave me a second chance at a happy, normal and productive life. At the hospital, Weldon and I were in two different rooms. After the surgery, I asked my parents to roll me into Weldon’s room. When I saw him for the first time after surgery, he was in a lot of pain. His surgery scar is about twice the size of mine. I could not help but cry when I was able to see what he had gone through for me.
He healed well and has never had any problems related to having only one kidney. I, too, healed well and have never gone through any rejection episodes at all. Despite the fact that my brother is three years my elder, the surgeon told me that we were matched almost as well as twins might be. I think this is why I have done so well with this transplant.

Since the transplant, I have lived a normal life. I still have to take anti-rejection medication for as long as I have this kidney. That will be for the rest of my life. I have experienced a “few bumps in the road” along my journey. Now, more than 29 years later, my brother Weldon is still doing well and so am I. I have a wonderful 18-year-old son and I am able to work full time.

I am thankful to God for blessing me with a loving and supportive family and such a giving and unselfish brother. I also feel grateful to God for giving the surgeons and medical staff the skill and knowledge to perform this successful transplant. I now try to “give a little back” for the blessings that God has given me. I work full-time at FMC Technologies in Stephenville. I am an active member and past-president of the Stephenville Kiwanis Club. I participate in National Kidney Foundation walks, I volunteer for LifeGift, I participate on a Relay for Life team and I am the photographer for the Stephenville High School Band. I am also an elder at the First Christian Church of Stephenville and occasionally help with the high school youth group. Additionally, I remain active with the Team North Texas U.S. Transplant Games team, a team of athletes who have all been touched by organ donation.

Please consider being an organ donor. It takes less than five minutes, is free and could save a life.


May God bless you as he has blessed me.


David Swearingen (kidney transplant, March 10, 1981)

No comments:

Post a Comment