Friday, June 25, 2010

It's Snake Season


Snakes are remarkable animals successfully living on land, sea, forests, grasslands, lakes, deserts and as of last week my backyard. Although the one my back porch wasn’t successful for long. I don’t know how you feel, but I HATE snakes. I coexist with all the geckos, spiders, frogs and other various forms of wildlife that make it to my backyard from the open field behind my house. I don’t even mind listening to the coyotes that “yip-yip” alongside my fence at night after a big rain. But I do draw the line at snakes. They are simply sinister. I realize that most snakes are harmless and even beneficial. I have read these cold blooded creatures are almost always more afraid of humans than we are of them. Whoever wrote that hasn’t met me.
With that being said, I am focusing this month’s blog on snakebite prevention. We are now officially in “snake bite season”. These legless reptiles are more active in the summer months. Recently several patients have been admitted for snake bite treatment. Most of those bites have been from copperheads and rattlesnakes. All snakes are meat eaters. They don’t see humans as their next “value meal” but rather as a threat and will strike out when they are startled, provoked or have no means of escape if cornered. There are about 45,000 snakebites per year in the US. Only a small percentage of those are poisonous. If you are bitten you should seek immediate medical attention. Effects from a bite can be instant or gradual. Puncture wounds can easily become infected from non-poisonous varieties. A tetanus shot is required if the victim hasn’t had one within 5 years. Keep the injured area below the level of the heart, and DON’T apply a tourniquet or ice. Remove any constricting items near the bite, such as rings or other jewelry which could cut off blood flow if the bite area swells. Being calm also helps slow the absorption of the venom. Although I don’t believe remaining calm after a snakebite is even possible. Do not risk further bites or delay treatment by attempting to capture or kill the snake.
Obviously snakebite prevention is far superior to treatment. If you see a snake, give him the opportunity to escape. Step away slowly and cautiously. Use a flashlight when camping. Never reach into firewood or under rocks or crevices without examining them first. I even wear my cowboy boots when trimming bushes (we do live in Texas after all). Be aware that snakes may be swimming in the water. Avoid snakes that appear to be dead, as some species will actually roll over on their backs and stick out their tongue to fool potential threats. Which means those species are essentially smarter than my Jack Russell. If you do kill a snake, know that the detached head can immediately act by reflex and potentially bite.
Have a healthy respect for them (or at least a rational fear) and enjoy your summer.

Mary Ann Contreras RN
Injury Prevention

No comments:

Post a Comment